LECCION 16b – CURSO DE INGLES NIVEL BASICO ELEMENTAL
Estudiaremos el PASADO SIMPLE (THE SIMPLE PAST TENSE – Con verbos que no son to be)
In this lesson we will talk about the past simple tense with other verbs (NOT THE VERB TO BE) in the negative and question form.
En esta lección aprenderemos la forma negativa y positiva del tiempo PAST SIMPLE con verbos que no son ser o estar. Recuerden de repasar las lecciones anteriores y de siempre practicar. (LAS RESPUESTAS DE LA TAREA ESTAN AL FINAL DE LOS AUDIOS)
The past simple tense (NEGATIVE FORM)
To form the past simple in the positive we need to conjugate the verb to the past form. This past form may be in the regular and irregular form.
Regular : verbs that end in -ed
– worked / studied / finished / stayed / liked / watched / worked / lived etc…
Irregular: verb change form
– ate / went / bought / read (pronunciado como “red”) / got up / woke up / spent … etc
To form the positive: S +V +C
I / you / he / she / it / we / you /they —- went —- to the park
** RECUERDEN QUE TODAS LAS PERSONAS USAN 1 SOLA CONJUGACION
In the negative form we need to use the auxiliary did + not (didn’t). remember that when we use the auxiliary we put the verb in the INFINITIVE form. The auxiliary didn’t is used in the negative form with verbs that are not to be. DO NOT USE DIDN’T WITH WAS OR WERE!!!
TABLE # 1
|Subject||Auxiliary (did) + not||Infinitive|
Did not (didn’t)
Ejemplos (TABLE # 2):
|I went to school||I didn’t go to school|
|She studied all night||She didn’t study all night|
|They ate a lot||They didn’t eat a lot|
|We had lunch||We didn’t have lunch|
- Simple Past (QUESTION FORM) – TABLE # 3:
In the question form we need to use the auxiliary “Did” and we have to write the verb in the INFINITIVE form
We can also place the question word before this structure.
QW + DID+ Subject+ Verb (Infinitive)
– What did you do yesterday?
– Where did Maria go last week?
– What time did Pedro leave the party?
– When did Sarah get married?
– How many bottles of beer did they drink?
- Let’s compare present simple with past simple
|(-) I don’t study||I didn’t study|
|(-) She doesn’t work||She didn’t work|
|(?) Does she study?||Did she study?|
|(?) Do you like movies?||Did you like the movie?|
*** Como vemos en esta comparación, lo único que cambia es el auxiliar. Recuerden que el auxiliar DID (ademas de do y does) APARECEN EL LA FORMA NEGATIVA E INTERROGATIVA CON VERBOS QUE NO SON TOBE.
- Short Answers (respuestas cortas)
Did you see Pam yesterday? ——– No, I didn’t.
Did it rain on Sunday? ———– Yes, it did.
Did Helen come to the party? ———– No, she didn’t.
Did your parents have a good trip?——— Yes, they did.
- MARCADORES DE TIEMPO DEL PASADO: TABLE 5
– I studied English last night.
– She finished school 3 years ago.
– Martin wanted to go to the movies yesterday.
– We went to New York 5 months ago.
HOMEWORK / TAREA
* FIGURAS Y EJERCICIOS DE GRAMMAR IN USE (Cambridge) Grammar practice (LONGMAN)